Barikiwa Health Center - Maswa, Tanzania
In 2010, MRI, took a medical team to Maswa, Tanzania, which has a population of around 1.5 million people, who have little or no resources available for medical and dental care. During that time, we identified a young woman who showed tremendous leadership ability, who also had a desire to further her education in the field of dentistry. MRI made the decision to sponsor Dr. Ashley Lucas, who after 5 years of training earned her DDS degree.
Property was then purchased in Maswa, and funds were raised to begin building the Barikiwa Health Center (complex). A well was dug, and water began flowing in 2016, concurrent to the groundbreaking of the beautiful 5,000 square feet facility, called Myers Clinic. Completion of the Health Center will be in three phases:
- Phase 1 - Build the 5,000 square feet Myers Family Clinic (pictured on left). This phase included digging a well which gives 7,000 liters of fresh water per day.
- Phase 2 - Surgical theater for more complex surgeries, to be performed by visiting surgeons to train local physicians.
- Phase 3 - Hutcherson Community Center for tutoring, vocational training, etc.
MRI currently has the following staff on site:
- Ashley Lucas, DDS - Medical Director of the clinic
- Dr. Scholastica Lucas - Doctor
- Ruth Webster - Ministry Support
The Tanzanian government has sent representatives to visit the compound, and the people are excited about the quality, low-cost care for those who could not otherwise afford it.
Josh Myers, of Blackstone Development in Tucson, Arizona began funding the building project of the Myers Clinic in 2016, with the grand opening scheduled for January 2018.